03 March 2012

Overnight train to Jodhpur

Taking the overnight train to Jodhpur wasn't as scary as I first imagined. While the journey was long (12 hour) and the beds were hard and only private due to a curtain, the ride was very quiet (that is, after we crazy Brits/Americans finally went to bed!) and it was quiet a smooth ride. In fact, I'd take 12 hour train ride over a 12 hour plane ride any day. And the toilets! I had feared them so, but they were completely fine - not exactly the cleanest, but not the dirtiest I've seen either! Anyway, I slept most of the way to Jodhpur, though still not completely ready to tackle the day once I got there.
Our hotel was located in the outskirts of Jodhpur, but it was only a short drive to the center of town and then to Mehrangarh Fort. Jodhpur is know as the Blue City because of the number of houses that are painted this color. It's quite beautiful, especially when seen from Mehrangarh Fort - an amazingly beautiful structure with some of the most gorgeous architecture I have seen. Inside, You will find seven gates, built by Maharaja Man Singh to commemorate his victories over Jaipur and Bikaner armies. There are many palace rooms, a variety of palanquins, swords and other artifacts here as well. Being the first palace/fort/grand structure I had seen of this trip, it was a completely amazing experience, I was just so awestruck to find myself here, seeing the things and the history that I was seeing! Jodhpur remains one of my favorite places I visited in India.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...