10 December 2011

Sakkara and the Pyramid of Djoser

I really loved driving around the region of Sakkara, or Saqqara - seeing how vast desert was interrupted by a refreshing cluster of palm trees, which seemed to radiate against the never-ending golden sand. It was quite beautiful. I have to say though, after spending all day in the desert, in 95 degree F heat, I was just about done by the time I hit Sakkara. Desert heat really has a way of sucking all the life and energy out of you, making it so that to even move is asking quite a lot. But, don't get me wrong - I had a blast visiting our Sakkara Restaurant, watching the Egyptian ladies make fresh pita bread for our heat-exhausted group. I loved seeing the step pyramid of Djoser (constructed during the 27th century BC!  How many times in your life do you visit something that old?). The Pyramid of Djoser was one of the things I was most looking forward to in Egypt (and of course the Sphinx and Pyramids of Giza, as well). Seeing so much in such a short period of time definitely sent me on sensory overload. Seeing some of the most famous sites in the world, being thrown into a culture you really have not experienced first-hand before, and throw in the heat factor - and it's no wonder I was speechless for most of the day!

Pyramid of Djoser


Sakkara Restaurant

These musicians were amazing!

Pinch me...this can't have been real...


Carpet School we visited


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...