18 November 2011

Pisa and the Piazza dei Miracoli

My last stop in Italy, on the European Cavalcade tour, was in Pisa. Even though there's not a whole lot to do/see here besides the leaning tower, I had wanted to visit here so bad the year before - when I was living in nearby Florence. So, I was excited to be here and experience Pisa, just as it is. There's a tiny little tram (so cute!) that takes you into the heart of the city, right outside the Piazza dei Miracoli - which is where you will find the Leaning Tower of Pisa. There are three major buildings that make up this piazza - the baptistery, the duomo and the bell tower (or leaning tower). I absolutely loved the architecture of these buildings, and the brief time Christy and I had here was great!

Piazza dei Miracoli - baptistery in front, then the duomo and the bell tower in the back.


I loved how so many of the Italian buildings were made up of these columns and statues.  ©CM



                    The Leaning Tower                                                                                                           ©CM

One of the intricately designed sculptures on the outside of the Duomo


The leaning base of the Leaning Tower of Pisa

Door of the Duomo - beautiful colors and carvings! Christy and I briefly went 
inside, and it was such a beautiful church!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...